If you meet and maintain all policy requirements, you can obtain permission from us to use media-shifted and/or format-shifted Sound Choice®-branded karaoke tracks for commercial purposes.
An original medium
is an original "red logo" CD+G or other original product that was physically released by Sound Choice. A "red logo" CD+G can be identified by the use in the track
itself of the Sound Choice logo with white writing and a red musical staff.
A non-original medium
is any data storage device not originally manufactured and distributed by Sound Choice. Examples include hard drives (internal or external), USB drives, dedicated
karaoke computers (manufacturers include CAVS and RSQ, among others), SD cards, or even compact discs or DVDs.
means putting Sound Choice®-branded karaoke tracks on a non-original medium (even if you copy them from a non-original medium).
means changing the format of the track from CD+G to another format, such as MP3+G. Format-shifting always requires media-shifting, but media-shifting might not require
- You must notify us of your intention to media-shift and/or format-shift the content of any Sound Choice-branded CD+G prior to the initiation of any investigation by us
of your potential media-shifting activities.
- You must maintain ownership and possession of the original media whose content you have shifted during the entire time the content is stored on the non-original media.
- While the content has been shifted, you may not use the original media for any purpose, commercial or otherwise.
- If you want to shift the content of any of the original media to more than one non-original medium, you must acquire one or more sets of additional original media, so that
you maintain a 1-to-1 correspondence relationship between each original medium and each non-original medium.
- You must request an audit of your original media, non-original media, and other related documents such as song lists and receipts. The audit allows us to make sure the
Sound Choice trademarks are being protected. There may be a fee for the audit.
If you use media-shifted or format-shifted Sound Choice®-branded tracks for any commercial purpose without meeting all of the policy requirements,
we may sue you for trademark infringement.
You should also remember that our permission may not be enough to legalize your media-shifting activities. Music publishers and others may hold rights that require you to obtain their
permission for media-shifting or playing media-shifted tracks commercially. We're not responsible for your compliance with those rights.
Still have questions? There's a FAQ.
Interested in an alternative solution for using media-shifted tracks, with fewer Sound Choice compliance requirements? Check out our new HELP℠ Licensing Program